Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Poor and Oppressed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_2GAEzJL6I&feature=related

This video compares people in the U.S. with people in Africa. The people in Africa are poor and don't have an education and they don't have enough food. They are being oppressed by disease such as AIDS which is killing many people and making many children into orphans. Some people say that the problem is too big or that we can't change anything, but is this true? If not what can we do to solve this problem?

5 comments:

  1. I think that it is not too big to change but it would be a monumental task. One problem will be getting enough materials over there such as medicine, pipes, wood, food, and other building materials to provide a similiar style of living there would be ridiculously high. I am not talking trillions but millions of trillion dollars (that may be bit of an exageration). Unfortunatly it would cost this much would be due to people needing money to buy these materials. Also, the United States would not be able to do it alone. It would require almost literally every nation working together to achieve this goal. Even if somehow we managed to do all that it still may not matter. Sometimes people just do not want to be helped, and sometimes people in these countries are making a lot of money from these poor countries by exploiting them for their diamonds and extremely cheap labor. There are also a billion other things that could go wrong, but i feel as a human race that we can do anything if we all work together to achieve it. No matter the odds or difficulty if we all worked together Africa could be changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the task is too big, I think that the task is so overwhelming that instead of dealing with it and taking out that much time, effort and money they choose to do nothing which is such a shame because people are suffering everyday while we live in our nice heated homes while the people in Africa are fighting everyday to find their next meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that this problem is not to big to be solved by people who are willing to and more importantly who want to. I dont think that this problem is as simple as just providing these people with food and medical care. Countries like this need help in developing a infastructure so that they can one day support themselfs. By this i mean instead of people just giving them materials they need someone to step in and say things need to change and be willing to give there time and effort.they also need gudence from more developed countries to help solve problems that other coubtries have had in the past, that is how I feel the problem in Africa can truely be solved once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously the U.S. has more than enough of money to help, but the problem is that we are dealing with other things like the war and spending billions of dollars on it. I think that there are many people and great organizations that are trying to help, which is great, but there needs to be more care to these countries. It is truly hard to watch the video and seeing this going on. I know that just donating a little money is not a lot, but it does help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If everyone was to say it is to big of a problem then nothing would be done but vise versa and the biggest difference would occur. I am afraid that many people have taken the position of "why bother" and that maybe is why the problem has gotten so huge. Money does help but I think being informed helps more. Many American companies are overseas paying the natives of whichever a country not enough money to live even on bare essentials like food. That creates poverty and maybe if for example when someone went to go buy Nikes they could maybe become a little more informed on that decision and realize that well those shoes were made in a sweatshop I don't think I will buy them. That being said a lot of people do know about the horrors of sweatshops and simply do not care but if everyone did care I truly do believe a change would occur.

    ReplyDelete